Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Materialism

It first hit me when I watched the news on "black Friday", which I am sure will soon be blasphemously dubbed by Wal-Mart, "good Friday", when I saw people literally being trampled as they ran with the herds in order to save money on the latest wares. Christmas materialism is not only wrong, but it a declaration of war. It is the Word made flesh versus the anti-Word. Materialism in general, where we seem to value things more than people, where we give tribute to the God made man by buying plasma TV's.



It also hit me when I was helping my parish "giving tree". This is the familiar tradition where the needs of the needy are placed on a Christmas tree in church and parishioners buy those gifts and they are then distributed. This is indeed a noble venture. However, I could not believe the sense of "entitlement" that many of these families had. More than once did I hear "is this it?!" as we gave them their present.

All of this, although I am tempted to throw in the towel, is a raging affirmation that our culture is starving for the Theology of the Body. They are starving for the answers to some of the most basic questions. Who am I? Why am I here? Why am I male/female? What is the point!? What must I do to gain eternal life? Why are people more important than things?

It is all too sad that the only answers they have been given, or at least wish to listen to, are "you are made as a product of the state to buy other products of the state...and you will be replaced (which is secular way of saying you are going to die)."

This is a double edged sword. One edge cuts because of the magnitude of the lie. However, the other edge will cut through the lie with the eternal, saving, powerful Truth of Jesus Christ.

Come, Lord Jesus, come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home